Most people have experienced a cavity in their lifetime. In the past, the filling most used was Amalgam Tooth Fillings (Silver Fillings), or if you splurged you could get a gold filling. However, today most people prefer the Tooth-Colored Composite Fillings. This is because we can closely match the filling material to the color of your teeth. In fact, many patients opt to have their old amalgam fillings removed and replaced with composite fillings. Composite fillings also chemically bond with the existing tooth structure, which gives the affected tooth even more support. It is also a very versatile material and can fix chips in the teeth or modify small gaps.
Root canals, or endodontic treatments, have come along way. They are actually the most common of endodontic procedures. While your teeth are meant to last your entire life, they can become damaged over time from deep decay or injury. This can often result in a tooth infection that damages your tooth’s pulp. A Root canal may be the best way to save your tooth or teeth.
You may need root canal therapy if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- Sensitivity to hot or cold foods and temperatures
- Intense pain in the tooth which comes and goes away
- Discoloration of the tooth
- An abscess or swelling near the tooth, in the gums or on the face
At Venetian Dental our goal is to have our patients maintain and keep their own teeth. However, in some cases, an extraction may be the only option. It may need to be performed for any of the following reasons:
- The manifestation of deep decay in the tooth
- Damage to a large portion of the tooth due to infection or trauma
- Crowding of teeth in the mouth
- Preparation for orthodontic treatment or another procedure
- Impaction of the wisdom teeth, a condition where a wisdom tooth does not erupt fully, or erupts at an angle, causing pain and increasing the possibility of damage to the other healthy teeth.
We administer local anesthesia so that you do not feel any pain during the extraction process. We also offer options for laughing gas and IV sedation depending upon the complexity of the procedure. We are available for questions and concerns afterward and we provide you with instructions for post-surgical care.