A Dental Assistant supports dental care delivery by preparing treatment room, patient, instruments, and materials; passing instruments and materials; performing procedures in compliance with the dental practice act. The dental assistant may also mix filling compounds, take impressions of teeth, and provide patients with postoperative instructions.
• Prepares treatment room for patient by following prescribed procedures and protocols.
• Prepares patient for dental treatment by welcoming, comforting, seating, and draping patient.
• Provides information to patients and employees by answering questions and requests.
• Provides instrumentation by sterilizing and delivering instruments to treatment area; positioning instruments for dentist’s access; suctioning; passing instruments.
• Provides materials by selecting, mixing, and placing materials on instruments and in the patient’s mouth.
• Helps dentist manage dental and medical emergencies by maintaining CPR certification.
• Educates patients by giving oral hygiene, plaque control, explaining recommended treatment service and providing postoperative instructions.
• Documents dental care services by charting in patient records.
• Maintains patient confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential.
• Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
• Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols.
• Ensures operation of dental equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer’s instructions.
• Maintains dental supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing orders for supplies, and verifying receipt as assigned.
• Eliminates waste and conserves dental resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
• Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Required Education and Experience:
1. High school diploma.
2. Completion of a state board dental assistant training program or the equivalent.
Preferred Education and Experience:
1. One year of related experience.
2. Dentrix software experience or similar.